This entire guide helps you understand an easy step by step process on how to add woocommerce variable products.
Woocommerce in 2020, still the best WordPress plugin to sell your products online from your website. Here are a few significant reasons why woocommerce is best. Woocommerce is free to download, no coding knowledge required, offers almost every option in default an e-commerce site needs, and many more.
If you are new to woocommerce, I want you to study the basics of woocommerce from the Post – What is Woocommerce? Is it Actually a #1 WordPress eCommerce Plugin?. It is highly essential to understand the basics clearly to learn other portions.
A survey-based in 2017, out of 100, close to 45% of online stores integrated the woocommerce plugin, which shows its power.
Once you become good at woocommerce basics, the next process is to learn how to add products in the woocommerce store. So that you can start selling your products to your store visitors, that’s what I decided to write on this topic.
What is a Woocommerce Variable Product?
Before knowing how to add variable products in woocommerce, you should first understand what the woocommerce variable product is. Here it is, the products that you are going to sell can be classified into two basic types. One is a simple product, and another one is a variable product type.
A simple product is just a single product that does not have many variations. A variable product is also a single product but available with different variations like colors, sizes, styles, etc. I hope now you got a clear view of the difference between simple and variable products.
You may also like – 10 Best Woocommerce Plugins to Increase Your Store Orders [Freemium]
When you buy a simple product type, you can add the product directly to your cart and checkout to purchase. But when it comes to purchasing variable products, you need to select different options like size and colors you want, and then you have to check out the things from your cart. The options are nothing but attributes that you need to add as a drop-down format in your product’s listing page.
So, whenever you list variable products in your woocommerce store, you must add variations to the products. Variation products most of the time lie under the category of all kinds of clothing and footwear.
If you are a woocommerce store owner and most of the products are selling under clothing or footwear categories, you must know how to add variable products in woocommerce. It’s not rocket science to be afraid of, as the process of adding a woocommerce variable product is straightforward, and you can do it yourself in no time. Let us find the solution below.
How to Add Woocommerce Variable Product – Step by Step Process
Process 1 – Add Product Attributes
- As a process one, you first need to define an attribute to your products. As said, the attributes should either be color or size.
- To do so, first, you should visit the attribute section from your WordPress dashboard. Refer to the image below. You will see products on the left menu, move your cursor to products, and drop-down appears. There you can click on ‘Attributes.’
3. Here you should ‘Add New Attribute.’ Ensure to give the name of the attribute. In this case, I input ‘Size.’ And then, define a slug, which is nothing but a URL. Input the same ‘size‘ in the slug field.
4. ‘Enable Archives‘ if you enable this option, a separate page will create a particular attribute you define and live on your store like Archives pages. Not mandatory to enable this. If you want, you can allow it.
5. Choose the ‘Default Sort Order‘ as your favor, and click ‘Add Attribute.’
Process 2 – Add Values to the Attributes
Once you add the attribute, it will be added to your attributes section. See the image below as the attribute ‘Size’ has been added.
- Refer to the above image, and you will see ‘Configure Terms.’ Click on it. Here is the section, you should define multiple values to the attributes. In this case, we need to add values to ‘Size’ as we already added ‘Size’ as a primary attribute.
- Input the values to the attributes as much as you want. As I input, ‘Small – S.’ If want, add a slug and description of the value. If you leave the column, no issues as slug will create a default like the value you input.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 if you want to add more size values. As I added only ‘Small – S,” You can repeat the process to add other size values. Look at the image as I added a few different size values repeating the same process.
That’s the end of process 2. I explained adding attributes for size. The same way you can do for colors as well. In method 1, instead of size, you should add color, and in-process 2, you should add whatever color values you want, such as white, black, red, etc..
Process 3 – Adding Woocommerce Variable Products with Attributes as Variations
In the process 3, you will quickly learn how to add variable products from your woocommerce dashboard.
- Again on the left menu, move your cursor to ‘Products.’ A drop-down appears in that click on ‘Add New.’ The same way is what you have to do every time to add new products to your store back end. To add the attributes to your existing products, you can even do so by clicking on ‘edit‘ the already published products.
2. On this ‘Adding Product section, as usual, you will be asked to input all the mandatory details including product name, description, etc
3. Under the Product Data, to make it a variable product, choose ‘Variable Product‘ as a product type and Click’ Attributes’ to add variations. See the Image.
4. On this attributes section, click on ‘Size‘ and then click add. ‘Size‘ attribute now added to the product as variations.
5. Now you have to add the values to the size attribute. It’s a simple process. According to the availability of the particular product’s sizes, you can select terms, or else you can even select all the sizes as a value if you have all sizes ready in stock. Look at the image closely below to understand the process. Ensure to tick the ‘Used for Variations‘ option and click ‘Save Attributes.’
6. Now you have to declare variations for size attribute values as one last step. Click on ‘Variations,’ which you can see below the ‘Attributes’ option.
7. On this variations section, click Go, it will add a variation column as you can choose a size for the particular variation and input price, images, and similar required fields. Suppose you want to add more than one size variation. Click on ‘Go‘ again, adding another variation in which you can choose the size that you saved as an attribute. Refer to the image.
For Example, if you have S, M and L sizes available in the particular product you want to publish, make sure to enter on the ‘Go’ options three times, and then you can add the three different sizes as variations. You can probably add any number of variation combinations. As I am here only to explain the size attributes, you can add variations of both colors and sizes combined when you add color attributes.
That’s the end of the process. Ensure to fill up all other details such as SKU, Price, Category, Tags, etc.… and then Hit the Publish button to make your woocommerce variable product go LIVE.
Of course, now its a time to execute the simple process of adding woocommerce variable product yourself on your woocommerce store. I hope I explained how to add woocommerce variable product to help you understand the whole lot process easily. If you still have any doubts about this process, you are welcome to drop your comments. I am glad to reply to all your comments.
Share the Post If you Find it Informative and Helpful.